not-so-dirty laundry
not-so-dirty laundry
love, ambition, sex, designer handbags, hotties in yankees caps ... the daily brain-dump of a twenty-something
Friday, November 19, 2004

Most human beings are driven to seek security and comfort. But there is another group that can only thrive on change and the unexpected of New York. - Cathleen Nesbit

Over Christmas, Martini is going to the homeland. Princess has to spend it with her father this year, so I'm goin' to The Big Apple with D. Yes folks, I'm finally making the trip to New York City.

I've always maintained that I am a big-city girl trapped in a midwestern town. One of my favorite places to be (other than Aruba or St. Martin, obviously) is Washington, D.C. I love the bustle of the city, the close proximity of all the great things to do, the fabulous public transportation systems ... all of it. If Princess wasn't a factor (and mom wasn't sick), I would totally move to D.C. in a heartbeat. I can't wait to get to NYC and see everything I've only seen photos of! And I can't wait to do it all with D.

But the geography of the trip is a part of why I'm so excited. See, I'm going to meet the family. D's grandparents (whom he's very close to), specifically. I struggled with actually going and doing this ... not because I don't want to meet them, but instead because of my undying terror of actually committing to a relationship. D has never given me anything but pure joy and happiness, but I suppose that old habits die hard. I made excuse after excuse about why I shouldn't go, why I couldn't go. And The Others put it into perspective for me, that I should stop allowing the "roadblocks" to get in my way and just go all Nike on the situation ... just do it.

Princess is hanging out with me tonight and tomorrow, as R has tix to the OSU/Michigan game tomorrow. She's crashed in her Pooh chair (that thing is so ugly ... I truly think it's possessed), eating animal cookies, and wearing her Buckeye necklace that Auntie Lexy sent to her. I wonder if I could teach her to say "Michigan Sucks" ...