not-so-dirty laundry
not-so-dirty laundry
love, ambition, sex, designer handbags, hotties in yankees caps ... the daily brain-dump of a twenty-something
Sunday, September 12, 2004

drugs
rock 'n' roll
bad-ass vegas hoes
late-night booty calls
and shiny disco balls

So, on my little road trip yesterday and today, I busted out The Big Guns. It's not often that I listen to house or trance or techno anymore, but there is one CD that just makes me want to dance, and makes all the troubles melt away. And I had $856 worth of truck repairs to work off, among other stressors. And a 3.5 hour drive. So, here's Martini's review of one of her favorite CDs. Enjoy.

12 Inches Of Cox
Mixed By Chris Cox

Now, this isn't the regular fare for me. Generally, I'm an indie rock or a harder rock kind of girl. (disclaimer: occasionally I will pop in a little Jordan Knight or Britney Spears.) Dance music usually doesn't do it for me. But there is something about the way Chris Cox (half of the now-defunct Thunderpuss) mixes some of the songs on this CD. He even makes Moby's "We Are All Made Of Stars" sound masculine and not so ... well ... Moby. (Have I mentioned that I think Moby is an egotistical douchebag that only had one decent song? But, I digress.)

You may have heard some of Cox's work (some with his former partner Barry Harris) on Queer As Folk (several of his mixes have been featured in scenes at Babylon), or maybe heard some of their production work (Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Joan Osbourne, and one of my favorites: Billie Myers).

Anyhow, if you haven't heard this CD, I'd strongly suggest giving it a spin if you're in a dancing (or working off some stress) mood. I'm a fan of not only the track that gave me the title for this post ("Shiny Disco Balls"), but I'm smitten with "Addicted To Bass" (and it's overly sexual message) too. I don't think there's really a *bad* song on the disc. Let me know what you think.