not-so-dirty laundry
not-so-dirty laundry
love, ambition, sex, designer handbags, hotties in yankees caps ... the daily brain-dump of a twenty-something
Sunday, August 29, 2004

MTV - VMAs 2004
Recap

Hostess: Vanessa Manillo, a former Miss Teen USA. Nice that she's working outside of the pageant circuit! I like her on TV. Just wish she would have chosen a different dress - that pinkish-mauve silk scarf thing she was wearing just didn't show her great figure off.

Funny: Some guy in a blown-up clear beach ball, bouncing himself through the audience and onto the stage. Andre3000 and BigBoi from Outkast were on stage accepting an award, and this guy was just rolling back and forth on stage behind them. This amused me greatly. I was on the phone with TheBoy at the time, and I think he quickly grew weary of me giggling in his ear about it. EDIT: PrincessMombi informed me this AM that it is called "ZORBING".

Quite Possibly The Coolest Thing I've Seen In A While: Alicia Keys singing "If I Ain't Got You" (a current favorite song of mine), bring in STEVIE FREAKING WONDER on the harmonica, then add in Lenny Kravitz on guitar. Incredible.

Annoying thing: if I see one more damned "LiveStrong" yellow bracelet, I'll hurl. I certainly don't regard Lance Armstrong as a role model. It annoys me that the American public idolizes a man that lets his wife love him and stand by him during his life's biggest challenge, then he just goes and fucks around on her? Whatever. I'll reserve the usual "I can't understand how Hollywood not only overlooks, but glamorizes, infidelity" rant, for now.

More Annoying: Paris Hilton is a stupid whore. Memo to her ... you are NOT hot. You are bony and skanky. Take a bath, grow a brain, put on about 20 pounds. Only then might you be palatable. Enough said.

Not Annoying: Gwen Stefani. She is GORGEOUS! Just wish she would have chosen an outfit that matched ... blue/black bustier with red skirt? Oh princess, did you dress in the dark? 'Tis OK, you're still a hottie.

Polyphonic Spree: The bastard love-child of The Brady Bunch and The Partridge Family. On a lot of X. And LSD.

Back To Annoying: Those God-Forsaken GAP commercials. Do they think that the GAP will be cool again because they have Sarah Jessica Parker (she who played Carrie Bradshaw) as their spokeswoman now? GAP = overpriced yet marginally comfortable clothing - NOT fashion plate material. And if they could just play them TWICE instead of just once during every single commercial break, that would be fabulous. Pardon me while I bang my head on the wall.

Choose Or Lose / Vote Or Die: Was an ongoing theme all evening. And also, a nice touch with the finale. Pretty cool, and I hope that it encourages some of the younger folks to register and vote. As I always say: You have no right to bitch if you don't vote. But we could have done without John Mellencamp (does he still use "Cougar"?). If you're going for the whole "voting is the cool thing to do" tack, I would have left him off and just stuck with Amy Lee. More on her in a minute.

Cute As A Button: Mandy Moore. But was she wearing a floor length satin / silk evening gown at the VMAs? Usually, a sparkly mini-skirt with a matching top covering one breast (and a pasty on the other) is de rigeur.

MTV2 Award: YAY for Yellowcard. Interesting that they (a fairly straightforward indie type band) finds theirselves on the new "NOW That's What I Call Music" CD with the likes of Beyonce and D12. Hmm.

Video Of The Year: Although "Hey Ya!" was a great video, I think that Jay-Z got robbed. I'm just glad that Britney didn't win for "Toxic" ... although a fun video, not the best of the year.

Cute Goth Chick: Amy Lee of Evanescence. When she's not all black-lace-and-angry-lyrics, she's rather cute!

EPILOGUE: Make sure to hit up The Real Bunny Blog and read her synopsis of the party circuit. She's tending bar at some of the parties, and I'm sure she'll have some good stories. It may take her a few days to come down from the hangover - if it's tequila, figure it'll take a week. Hope she takes pictures.