not-so-dirty laundry
not-so-dirty laundry
love, ambition, sex, designer handbags, hotties in yankees caps ... the daily brain-dump of a twenty-something
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Do I See An Anchor In Your Eye?
A Toast To My Chapter, And To Growing Old Gracefully.



It's not often that I let everyone here into my personal life (other than the boy-toys, of course). But this is really on my mind today, and I thought I'd share.

I've always been very proud of my Greek affiliation. I've been a member of the oldest existing chapter of Delta Gamma since 1995, and have been active in my alumnae group here in Cow-Town since I moved here. In fact, I think I reached out to them before my boxes were packed! My tattoo is an anchor dipping in two waves (the anchor signifies my sorority's symbol, and the two waves signify the two phases of membership: collegiate and alumnae). It's hard for those that aren't Greek to understand the deep bonds of sisterhood / brotherhood, and it's tough to explain it. As women, our lives have changed dramatically, but I still talk to every girl I've ever sponsored, most of the women in my pledge class, and some of my sisters. We've moved, we've grown, we've been married and divorced. We've had kids, bought houses, changed jobs, lost parents, and gained entire families. But the truth of the matter is: we always come back to the same place when we're together. It's like we never missed a beat.

This year, Eta chapter (my chapter) celebrates 125 years of being chartered. I plan on attending both my local Founder's Day celebration (well, I'm on the committee, so I'd better go), as well as making the trip to my initiating chapter's Founder's Day celebration.

One of my favorite stories: When JD, one of my dearest friends from high school, chose DG, I was ecstatic. I nearly turned myself inside out with joy. On her initiation day, RT and I jumped in the car at 3 AM and made the nearly 5-hour road trip to her chapter for the ceremony. We arrived at
least an hour prior to the initiates, and hid in the chapter room. We just blended in with everyone else, and waited for the ceremony to start. When JD walked through the door for the initiation ceremony, we were hidden. When she turned around to receive her badge, there I stood, waiting to pin her. Tears of joy just flowed, and JD was initiated wearing my badge. I just remember leaning over to her and JD saying "I can't believe you are here!" and I just said "Are you kidding? I wouldn't have missed this moment for ANYTHING."

I suppose this entire sappy entry was brought on by the fact that I'm a firm believer in the "each one, reach one" theory. (Maybe this is why I'm the Sponsorship Chair in my city ...) In life, your legacy will only continue if you continually search for your replacement. I make it a point
to sponsor one young woman a year, as a potential new member. So far, since I've graduated, my track record is pretty good (out of six years, two have pledged / initiated at their respective universities. The other four either chose not to go Greek, or selected a different group). And this
year, I just completed the form for a young woman that I've known for eleven years. I met her when she was seven years old, and I'm so very proud of the woman she's become. Part of me feels really old, but the other part rejoices in the fact that she's become such a beautiful, wonderful, and talented woman. I hope, sincerely hope, that she chooses DG. I want to be there at her initiation, and to pin my badge on her during the ceremony.