not-so-dirty laundry
not-so-dirty laundry
love, ambition, sex, designer handbags, hotties in yankees caps ... the daily brain-dump of a twenty-something
Thursday, June 03, 2004

Blah Stupid Blah.

I'm due for one of those patented Martini-brand super feminist rants. You know ... all the good ones are married or gay ... are there any decent men out there ... blah stupid blah. I know there are (have I mentioned that I have been conversing with a very nice guy lately?), but it's a vital part of the feminine mystique to always question the validity of each relationship.

There are days like today that I get annoyed with the fact that I live alone. Yeah, there are days that I relish the freedom that being single has to offer: peanut butter sandwiches and beer for dinner, an entire evening spent surfing the web, or a blissful two full hours spent at the driving range with my beloved 3-iron. But then, there are days like today that I'd really really like to have someone to share them with.

Today was a great day. I was informed that I am a "rising star in the firm" by a very powerful person. In front of his direct reports. This made me feel great. Then, an idea I've been working on for our team ... and it will be rolled out to our entire division. That's almost 1,000 employees that will see my idea, endorsed by Senior management. I've always been a very driven woman, particularly when it comes to my career. I went through a period of "I don't know what I want to do", and I think I've found my niche in risk management. My work ethic has completely returned, as it is apt to do when I am happy with what I'm doing. I am focused again, and it feels really exciting to be part of something great again.

But then, I came home, alone, to an empty house. You really don't understand the magnitude of a marriage until it's not in your life. The ebb and flow of each passing day really takes its toll on you when you are alone, and you don't have the chance to share it with someone else. A second set of shoulders to lighten your load, if you will. Don't misunderstand me, Salem The Super Cat is great and all. He's the best man I know right now. But he sure doesn't keep me all that warm at night. And he's a little too hairy for my tastes.

This weekend, I'm headed up to mom and dad's on Friday and Saturday night. Then to the Miss Ohio parade on Sunday. My Princess will be with me, so I suppose that everything will be all right ... starting tomorrow.