not-so-dirty laundry
not-so-dirty laundry
love, ambition, sex, designer handbags, hotties in yankees caps ... the daily brain-dump of a twenty-something
Sunday, April 04, 2004

It's the good girls who keep diaries; for the bad girls never have the time.
(quote from Ms. Tallulah Bankhead)


Ahh, yes. Another year older. Today is my birthday.

Last night, "The Others" (our little group name for all the girlies and I) got together. The directive? Meet at 6, bring a bottle of wine. Well, four bottles of wine, a quart of fresh strawberries, and two East Of Chicago pizzas later, we were giddy again. Yes, there were five of us. That's darn near a bottle of wine and a third of a large pizza for each of us. Back to exercising tomorrow! It was fabulous to celebrate MAV's crowning. She called halfway through our little party, and we all shrieked in the phone with her. Wonder if she's worn that crown to Taco Bell yet.

I didn't get back to mom and dad's until after 1:30 AM. It felt like I was back in college, sneaking in after the bars closed. Much to my surprise ... my dad was waiting up for me. He said he had a tummyache, but I don't buy it for a minute. He said he was glad that he got to be the first person to say happy birthday to me. Just goes to show ... even after 27 years, I'm still Daddy's Little Girl.

Today was a little bittersweet. I'm not terribly fond of the month of April for right now. I'm in denial that I'm another year older today, and also The Anniversary (yes, folks, that one ...) is on April 22nd (see poll in sidebar). I woke up to a shrieking Princess running up and down the hallway. Again, my dad had "rescued" her, and was letting her run in the house. Ah, the magic of grandparents! Dad made me eggs, Mom made me toast. Ahhh, heaven is indeed defined as a hot breakfast that doesn't come out of a McBag! Then, the day's festivities commenced.

I got the lucky task of going to pick up my grandma. In other families, I think this is known as "drawing the short straw". Now, grandma's had a few strokes, her sense of tactfulness is really dulled. She said something to the effect of "I'm really glad that R's not in the picture anymore." I looked at her, horrified, and then she hastily added on "Well, it's because if you were still married you would have never come home for your birthday like this." Now, I know that she didn't mean it like it came out. But it still hurt to be reminded that R isn't here with me for my birthday. After I took her back to the home after my feast of homemade lasagna and cake, I went to get on the road to get home. I drove by the street of the church that R and I got married at. I am so proud of myself, I didn't stop. I made a promise to myself not to go there today, and I kept it.

On the two hour trip home, Princess napped. Apparently, grandpa wore her out! C called and checked in, he's all moved in. We got almost home, and my cell phone's voice mail rang. I checked it, and it was a sweet message from R wishing me a happy birthday. It was so sweet that he remembered, I am terribly flattered. I'm not reading too much into it, because I don't want to get my hopes up.

Back to the daily grind tomorrow. I'm so spoiled, as I've had Princess home with me for the past three days. I won't know what to do with myself, because I get her back on Thursday night, and I'll have her for the ENTIRE WEEKEND! Oh, I'm in heaven ... at least until I get back to work tomorrow, and I get to deal with a bunch of whiny executives again. Remind me that when I get the letters "V.P." behind my name, that I shouldn't anger the nice folks that save my ass from lawsuits every day.