not-so-dirty laundry
not-so-dirty laundry
love, ambition, sex, designer handbags, hotties in yankees caps ... the daily brain-dump of a twenty-something
Wednesday, February 04, 2004

A Woman's Worth.

How do you define what you're worth? Professionally, there's a bit of a guide ... as your education level, job title, and experience goes up, so does your worth. But, in a relationship, your worth is always negotiable, and fluctuates wildly. For instance, as a single gal with no worries, your worth is smaller. But, when you become a mother, a wife, and the keeper of the domestic universe ... how can you put a price on that?

When R and I split up, I realized that a marriage is no more than a business contract. The whole "love and family" ruse is just that ... a ruse. You choose to be with someone that you love, but I think that you actually marry them for the business advantages. Other than a guarantee of next-of-kin, what's the point of the piece of paper? I don't mean to be bitter, really, but maybe my view is slightly jaded.

Will I ever marry again? Not likely. I work so hard, and I can't imagine ever dealing with this financial garbage again. But I do think that I will live with someone again. Having someone to share the expenses would make life so much easier, but how I do relish being able to sit on the couch in my underwear. As I am right now.

AWNSDI: $15 doctor copay, $10 shoes for my daughter (her feet grew 1.5 sizes in a month ... I bequeathed 5 pairs of her designer shoes to a friend's daughter today ... about $150 worth). I think I am going to sell my wedding rings to pay off some debt. I really don't need them, and I don't know why I'm holding on to them. Some random thought ... maybe some bizarre wishful thinking? Don't know.

Man update: Nothing. Nada. I am working on what I have affectionately termed as "The Six Sigma Project To Get Martini's Life Out Of The Pooper". Cleaning up all the loose ends, and telling people what they don't want to hear ... doesn't make it likely to get laid. Ah well, at least I'm getting rid of my drama.

Tax update: Still no W-2. Damnit.