not-so-dirty laundry
not-so-dirty laundry
love, ambition, sex, designer handbags, hotties in yankees caps ... the daily brain-dump of a twenty-something
Sunday, February 22, 2004

Raise Your Glasses, Shake Your Asses.

Oh my goodness. Last night was quite the experience.

M, A, and MAV all came in to go to the Jordan Knight concert. That man makes my panties just as damp as he did when I was 12. Here's a quick synopsis:

We got there at about 8, and the opening act came on at about 8:30. A really cute (and jailbait aged) young man opened the show ... Jerry Reid. Cute little boy, but he was just that ... a little boy. I mused to A that looking at a young man like that would usually buy me a one-way ticket to jail. Never mind the fact that Flannagan's is a 21-and-up establishment.

The closer it came to time for Jordan to come on, the more crowded it got. I swear, it was a damned third-grade teacher convention in there. It's not the normal clientele of Flannagan's, but I figured that when you add in the catalyst that is Jordan ...

At any rate, Jordan finally took the stage at about 9:30, amid many ear-piercing screams that evoked memories of the "endless summer" tour. But the difference is here is 14 years and the consumption of a lot of beer. He told lots of fun stories, and sang some of his new stuff ... but he definitely brought the house down with the old NKOTB stuff. He even did the whole "Right Stuff" dance for us. He did a great job. And M kept us in stitches throughout the show with her thorough-nearing-stalkerlike knowledge all all things New Kids. She even knew their astrological signs! Although she's nowhere near as freaky as the Chicago Five ... these five women that follow Jordan around on tour. They were there last night. That's obsessed. M is just merely an enthusiastic fan.

But the best part of the evening was LONG after the show was over. After we left the bar and came home, we sat and watched a few old videos of MAV in an old talent show. She, her sister, and some of their little cronies entered this whole "act like the new kids" show, to win tickets. Holy hell, some of those kids were so fucking funny I totally just fell OUT. I know it's wrong to laugh at them, but for god's sake, it was 1990 and these kids had the total fashion to prove it. And I had a few beers in my body, so my already scant supply of decorum was dulled significantly. M had no alcohol throughout the night, so she and A took off to head home about 1:45 or so.

Shortly after they left, my phone rang. It was A, muttering something in the phone about a flat tire. So, MAV and I hopped in the truck and zipped up to get them. M had the car jacked up, and was getting ready to take the iron to the nuts to get them off. So she pulls all the nuts off, and sticks them in her coat pocket. She then proceeds to grab the rim, and tries to pull the tire off. It's stuck. And the damned thing is NOT budging. So, I get this brilliant idea to go up the street to the gas station and get some fix-a-flat. Um, it did NOT work. Not even CLOSE. More on this later. I burned up the phone line to C (reference: the whole "wing" rant from last Tuesday) and T, and apparently neither were up at 2-something A.M. I left the appropriate voice mails, and told the girlies that we had exhausted all my boys that could get the tire off. I offered to call R, but we all decided that this was a poor course of action. So, we finally (45 minutes later) give up the ship, limp the car into a nearby parking lot, and jack it up until morning. Home to my house, watch Cruel Intentions (DAMN is Ryan Phillippe HOT) and pass out cold.

Fast forward to 8 AM, and T calls to wake me up. He comes down to help us get the tire off. We are unsuccessful. What's three girls and one very large man to do now? But wait! Nothing wins my heart like a resourceful man ... he had his AAA card handy ... and within 45 minutes (and a dentally-challenged tow truck operator) we had the tire off and the donut on. M and A were then on their way to procure a new tire, and MAV and I headed to pick up the princess. Why did M and A need a new tire? Oh, only because the inside of the tire looked like it had been put through my blender with a fifth of vodka.

All in all, a wondermous evening had by all. Good friends, good beer, good music, and a new tire for M. And FYI, the "NKOTB Remixes" are being released on March 30th. You bet I'll be second in line to get that CD ... only after M.